Skip to main content
U.S.

Mass. moving migrants out of Logan Airport, gov’t says state is out of room

Share

Starting July 9, migrant families will no longer be permitted to sleep at Boston’s Logan International Airport. Since the summer of 2023, migrants have been using the airport as a temporary refuge after Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, R, bussed thousands of migrants who had crossed the southern border to sanctuary cities across the U.S.

Media Landscape

See who else is reporting on this story and which side of the political spectrum they lean. To read other sources, click on the plus signs below.

Learn more about this data

Left 50%

Center 36%

Right 14%

Bias Distribution Powered by Ground News

In November 2023, the Massachusetts State Emergency Shelter System reached its capacity of 7,500. The system provides assistance to people living in poverty, pregnant women under the age of 21, and those who lost housing due to fire or no-fault eviction, among other qualifications.

Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healey, D, hopes this decision sends a message to the U.S. southern border that the state is out of space.

QR code for SAN app download

Download the SAN app today to stay up-to-date with Unbiased. Straight Facts™.

Point phone camera here

Healey’s administration announced that it is working to relocate migrant families from the airport to a new safety-net site. Families on the emergency assistance shelter waitlist will be offered transfers to a former prison site in Norfolk, where eligible families can stay for up to nine months, according to a press release.

Healey emphasized that migrants looking to come to Massachusetts must arrange their own shelter accommodations, excluding both Logan Airport and state-run shelters.

“We’ve given enough lead time to work with case managers and service providers in finding new locations for people,” Healey said. “We’ve also made it clear that we won’t be able to provide housing, nor will staying at Logan Airport be an option anymore.”

State officials report increased efforts to provide migrants with work authorization applications, job placements, English classes and reticketing options. In May, 300 families left the state-run emergency shelter system, and officials expect this number to continue rising in the coming months.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

[LAUREN TAYLOR]

MIGRANT FAMILIES SHELTERING AT BOSTON’S LOGAN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT – WILL NO LONGER BE ALLOWED TO SLEEP THERE STARTING JULY 9.

MIGRANT FAMILIES HAVE BEEN SLEEPING AT BOSTON LOGAN SINCE THE SUMMER OF 2023 – AFTER TEXAS GOVERNOR GREG ABBOTT BUSSED THOUSANDS OF MIGRANTS WHO HAD CROSSED THE SOUTHERN BORDER TO SANCTUARY CITIES ACROSS THE U-S.

IN NOVEMBER, THE MASSACHUSETTS STATE EMERGENCY SHELTER SYSTEM HIT CAPACITY AT 7,500. 

THE STATE’S EMERGENCY SHELTER SYSTEM HELPS PEOPLE WHO ARE LIVING IN POVERTY, PREGNANT WOMEN UNDER THE AGE OF 21, AND THOSE WHO LOST HOUSING BECAUSE OF FIRE OR NO-FAULT EVICTION, AMONG OTHER QUALIFICATIONS.

MASSACHUSETTS GOVERNOR MAURA HEALY SAID SHE  HOPES THIS SENDS A MESSAGE TO THE U.S. SOUTHERN BORDER THAT THE STATE IS OUT OF SPACE.

IN THE ANNOUNCEMENT LATE LAST WEEK – THE ADMINISTRATION SAID THIS DECISION COMES AS THE STATE WORKS TO MOVE MIGRANT FAMILIES OUT OF THE AIRPORT AND TO THE NEW SAFETY-NET SITE. 

FAMILIES ON THE EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE SHELTER WAITLIST WILL BE OFFERED TRANSFERS TO THE NEW STATE SITE – LOCATED AT A FORMER PRISON IN NORFOLK WHERE ELIGIBLE FAMILIES WILL BE ABLE TO STAY FOR UP TO NINE MONTHS, ACCORDING TO A PRESS RELEASE.

GOVERNOR HEALEY SAID MIGRANTS LOOKING TO COME TO MASSACHUSETTS WILL NEED TO HAVE THEIR OWN SHELTER ARRANGEMENTS THAT DO NOT INCLUDE EITHER SLEEPING AT LOGAN AIRPORT OR STATE RUN SHELTERS.

(GOVERNOR HEALEY / D-MASSACHUSETTS)

“I THINK WE’VE GIVEN ENOUGH LEAD TIME TO WORK WITH CASE MANAGERS AND SERVICE PROVIDERS IN FINDING NEW LOCATIONS FOR PEOPLE AND WE’VE ALSO MADE CLEAR TO THOSE WHO MIGHT THINK ABOUT COMING TO MASSACHUSETTS THAT WE’RE NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO PROVIDE HOUSING NOR ARE YOU GOING TO BE ABLE TO STAY AT LOGAN AIRPORT ANYMORE.”

[LAUREN TAYLOR]

ACCORDING TO STATE OFFICIALS – THERE’S BEEN INCREASED EFFORTS TO PROVIDE MIGRANTS WITH “WORK AUTHORIZATION APPLICATIONS, JOB PLACEMENTS, ENGLISH CLASSES, AND RETICKETING OPTIONS” WHICH HAS RESULTED IN 300 FAMILIES LEAVING STATE RUN EMERGENCY SHELTER SYSTEM IN THE MONTH OF MAY – AND THEY’RE EXPECTING THIS NUMBER TO CONTINUE INCREASING IN THE COMING MONTHS. 

FOR STRAIGHT ARROW NEWS, I’M LAUREN TAYLOR…

FOR MORE UNBIASED, STRAIGHT FACTS, DOWNLOAD THE SAN APP OR VISIT SAN.COM