Skip to main content
The Morning Rundown™

Supreme Court to issue ruling on Trump’s immunity claim

Share

The Supreme Court will deliver its long-awaited ruling on whether former President Donald Trump is immune from being prosecuted. And after his debate performance last week, President Joe Biden’s future as the Democratic nominee remains a topic of discussion within his party. These stories and more highlight The Morning Rundown for Monday, July 1, 2024.

Supreme Court to issue ruling on Trump’s immunity claim

There will be a ruling on whether former President Donald Trump has immunity from criminal prosecution today, Monday, July 1. That is one of the opinions left as the Supreme Court wraps up its current term, extending its rulings into July. 

Chief Justice John Roberts announced on Friday, June 28, the highly anticipated decision concerning the former president and all remaining opinions will come down starting at 10 a.m. EST Monday.

The court will decide if the former president is immune from being prosecuted in the federal election interference case where he’s accused of conspiring to obstruct the 2020 presidential election. Trump has argued he should be immune from any official acts taken while in office, saying future presidents would not be able to function without immunity.  

A federal appeals court rejected Trump’s claim in February. The Supreme Court agreed to hear the case a few weeks later. During arguments in April, the court focused in on deciding which acts are private and which are considered part of the role of president. 

In a decision on Friday, the Supreme Court limited obstruction charges that have been brought against Jan. 6 rioters. Former President Trump is also charged with obstruction in this federal case.   

The justices will also issue a ruling on when it comes to states passing laws to regulate how social media companies moderate content on their platforms. 

Biden’s future as candidate being discussed after debate performance

The fallout from last week’s presidential debate continued to make headlines over the weekend, with President Joe Biden’s future as a candidate being questioned following his debate performance. NBC News released a report on Saturday, June 29, that said the Biden family would discuss the future of the president’s reelection campaign during a previously planned weekend family gathering at Camp David. 

Biden’s campaign said the report was false, calling it “100% media-fabricated” and said Biden will be the Democratic nominee. 

Biden advisers told CNN the president’s family at Camp David, including the first lady and son Hunter, encouraged him to stay in the race

Those advisers said there were talks about whether the aides who helped prepare the president should be fired, after some Democrats blamed Biden’s performance on his prep for the event. 

Rep. James Clyburn, D-S.C., said it was a case of “preparation overload” and the president should continue to run on his record. 

Rep. Jamie Raskin, D-Md., meanwhile, has admitted there are ongoing serious conversations in the party following the debate. 

“I mean, this is what a real political party looks like, and this is what a real political party does,” Raskin told ABC News. “Obviously, there was a big problem with Joe Biden’s debate performance, and there is also just a tremendous reservoir of love for Joe Biden in our party. So, this makes it a difficult situation for everybody, but there are very honest and serious and rigorous conversations happening at every level of our party, because it is a political party, and we have differences in point of view.” 

Raskin said whatever Biden decides, the Democratic party will be unified. 

Biden himself has spoken out about his debate performance. At a rally in North Carolina on Friday, June 28, he said he doesn’t debate as well as he used to but knows how to get the job done. And then he told supporters during a campaign fundraiser in New Jersey over the weekend, “I understand the concern after the debate. I get it. I didn’t have a great night, but I’m going to be fighting harder.”

DOJ offers Boeing plea deal in connection with 2 deadly plane crashes

The Justice Department is giving Boeing the chance to avoid trial in connection with two 737 Max crashes that left a total of nearly 350 people dead. The DOJ has offered Boeing a deal that would include three years’ probation, a fine and a corporate monitor to ensure safety compliance in exchange for a guilty plea to criminal charges. 

The potential plea deal comes after repeated safety failures at Boeing that have resulted in multiple federal investigations. The DOJ said in June the safety failures were a breach of the terms of a 2021 agreement in which the company avoided criminal charges for two fatal crashes. 

If Boeing agrees to plead guilty, a judge will have to sign off on the deal. 

The lawyer who represents 15 families of those killed in the plane crashes called this a “sweetheart deal” and said they will object to it. 

U.S. military bases in Europe on alert amid possible terror threat

U.S. military bases across Europe are on a heightened terror alert. They’ve been put on alert level “Charlie” — the second highest state of alert

According to the Army, Charlie “applies when an incident occurs or intelligence is received indicating some form of terrorist action or targeting against personnel or facilities is likely.” 

One U.S. Official told Fox News that intelligence points to an attack on U.S. bases over the next week or so.

Hurricane Beryl barrels through Caribbean

Hurricane Beryl is now a major Category 3 storm after it picked up power and speed on Sunday, June 30, over the Caribbean. It was previously a Category 4 hurricane, becoming the earlier Cat 4 in the Atlantic on record

The storm is expected to make landfall in the Windward Islands Monday, July 1, morning. The hurricane’s eye is forecast to track just south of Barbados with 130 mph winds, bringing up to six inches of rain. 

And while it’s too soon to know for sure — Beryl, or remnants of the storm, could reach southern Texas by the weekend, bringing heavy rain to the area. 

Simone Biles qualifies for her third Olympics

Simone Biles has done it again! The reigning gymnastics world champion is headed to her third Olympics

Biles came in first place at the 2024 U.S. Olympic Gymnastics Trials in Minneapolis Sunday, June 30. 

Biles returned to competitive gymnastics last year after withdrawing from the team final and individual all-around at the 2020 Olympics. Biles said she was suffering from the “twisties” — a mental block that causes gymnasts to lose their body position — and taking an extended break to prioritize her mental health. 

At 27 years old, the four-time Olympic gold medalist who’s also the most decorated gymnast ever, will be the oldest female American gymnast to compete at the Olympics in 72 years. 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

{KARAH RUCKER]

WE WILL GET A RULING ON WHETHER FORMER PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP HAS IMMUNITY FROM CRIMINAL PROSECUTION MONDAY. 

THAT IS ONE OF THE OPINIONS LEFT AS THE SUPREME COURT WRAPS UP ITS CURRENT TERM  — EXTENDING ITS RULINGS INTO JULY. 

CHIEF JUSTICE JOHN ROBERTS ANNOUNCED ON FRIDAY – THAT THE HIGHLY-ANTICIPATED DECISION CONCERNING THE FORMER PRESIDENT AND ALL REMAINING OPINIONS WILL COME DOWN STARTING AT 10 A.M. MONDAY. 

THE COURT DECIDING IF THE FORMER PRESIDENT IS IMMUNE FROM BEING PROSECUTED IN THE FEDERAL ELECTION INTERFERENCE CASE WHERE HE’S ACCUSED OF CONSPIRING TO OBSTRUCT THE 2020 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION. 

TRUMP HAS ARGUED HE SHOULD BE IMMUNE FROM ANY OFFICIAL ACTS TAKEN WHILE IN OFFICE – SAYING FUTURE PRESIDENTS WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO FUNCTION WITHOUT IMMUNITY.  

A FEDERAL APPEALS COURT REJECTED TRUMP’S CLAIM BACK IN FEBRUARY – WITH THE SUPREME COURT AGREEING TO HEAR THE CASE A FEW WEEKS LATER.   

DURING ARGUMENTS IN APRIL – THE COURT FOCUSED IN ON DECIDING WHICH ACTS ARE PRIVATE AND WHICH ARE CONSIDERED PART OF THE ROLE OF PRESIDENT. 

IN A DECISION ON FRIDAY – THE SUPREME COURT LIMITED OBSTRUCTION CHARGES THAT HAVE BEEN BROUGHT AGAINST JANUARY 6TH RIOTERS. THE CHARGE IS ALSO ONE OF THE FOUR BROUGHT AGAINST FORMER PRESIDENT TRUMP IN THIS FEDERAL CASE.   

ALSO MONDAY – THE JUSTICES WILL ISSUE A RULING WHEN IT COMES TO STATES PASSING LAWS TO REGULATE HOW SOCIAL MEDIA COMPANIES REGULATE CONTENT ON THEIR PLATFORMS.  

THE FALLOUT FROM LAST WEEK’S PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE CONTINUED TO MAKE HEADLINES OVER THE WEEKEND – WITH PRESIDENT JOE BIDEN’S FUTURE AS A CANDIDATE BEING QUESTIONED FOLLOWING HIS DEBATE PERFORMANCE. 

NBC NEWS RELEASED A REPORT ON SATURDAY – THAT THE BIDEN FAMILY WOULD DISCUSS THE FUTURE OF THE PRESIDENT’S RELEECTION CAMPAIGN DURING A PREVIOUSLY PLANNED WEEKEND FAMILY GATHERING AT CAMP DAVID. 

BIDEN’S CAMPAIGN SAID THE REPORT WAS FALSE — CALLING IT “100 PERCENT MEDIA-FABRICATED” AND SAID BIDEN WILL BE THE DEMOCRATIC NOMINEE. 

BIDEN ADVISERS TOLD CNN AT CAMPDDAVID THE PRESIDENT’S FAMILY INCLUDING THE FIRST LADY AND SON HUNTER ENCOURAGED HIM TO STAY IN THE RACE. 

THOSE ADVISERS SAYING THERE WERE TALKS ABOUT WHETHER THE AIDES WHO HELPED PREPARE THE PRESIDENT SHOULD BE FIRED AFTER OME DEMOCRATS BLAMING BIDEN’S PERFORMANCE ON HIS PREP FOR THE EVENT. 

SOUTH CAROLINA CONGRESSMAN JAMES CLYBURN SAID IT WAS A CASE OF “PREPARATION OVERLOAD” AND THE PRESIDENT SHOULD CONTINUE TO RUN HIS RECORD. 

DEMOCRATIC CONGRESSMAN JAMIE RASKIN MEANWHILE HAS ADMITTED THERE ARE ONGOING SERIOUS CONSERVATIONS IN THE PARTY FOLLOWING THE DEBATE. 

REP. JAMIE RASKIN | D-MD 

“I MEAN, THIS IS WHAT A REAL POLITICAL PARTY LOOKS LIKE AND THIS IS WHAT A REAL POLITICAL PARTY DOES. OBVIOUSLY, THERE WAS A BIG PROBLEM WITH JOE BIDEN’S DEBATE PERFORMANCE, AND THERE IS ALSO JUST A TREMENDOUS RESERVOIR OF LOVE FOR JOE BIDEN IN OUR PARTY. SO THIS MAKES IT A DIFFICULT SITUATION FOR EVERYBODY, BUT THERE ARE VERY HONEST AND SERIOUS AND RIGOROUS CONVERSATIONS HAPPENING AT EVERY LEVEL OF OUR PARTY, BECAUSE IT IS A POLITICAL PARTY AND WE HAVE DIFFERENCES IN POINT OF VIEW.” 

RASKIN SAID WHATEVER BIDEN DECIDES – THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY WILL BE UNIFIED. 

BIDEN HIMSELF HAS SPOKEN OUT ABOUT HIS DEBATE PERFORMANCE – FIRST AT A RALLY IN NORTH CAROLINA ON FRIDAY — SAYING HE DOESN’T DEBATE AS WELL AS HE USED TO — BUT KNOWS HOW TO GET THE JOB DONE. 

— AND THEN TELLING SUPPORTERS DURING A CAMPAIGN FUNDRAISER IN NEW JERSEY OVER THE WEEKEND: 

“I UNDERSTAND THE CONCERN AFTER THE DEBATE. I GET IT. I DIDN’T HAVE A GREAT NIGHT, BUT I’M GOING TO BE FIGHTING HARDER.”   

THE JUSTICE DEPARTMENT IS GIVING BOEING THE CHANCE TO AVOID TRIAL IN CONNECTION WITH TWO 7-37 MAX CRASHES — THAT LEFT A TOTAL OF NEARLY 350 PEOPLE DEAD. 

THE D-O-J HAS OFFERED BOEING A DEAL — THAT WOULD INCLUDE THREE YEARS PROBATION… A FINE… AND A CORPORATE MONITOR TO ENSURE SAFETY COMPLIANCE IN EXCHANGE FOR A GUILTY PLEA TO CRIMINAL CHARGES. 

THE POTENTIAL PLEA DEAL COMES AFTER REPEATED SAFETY FAILURES AT BOEING THAT HAVE RESULTED IN MULTIPLE FEDERAL INVESTIGATIONS — WHICH THE D-O-J SAID LAST MONTH WAS A BREACH OF THE TERMS OF A 20-21 AGREEMENT — IN WHICH THE COMPANY AVOIDED CRIMINAL CHARGES FOR TWO FATAL CRASHES. 

IF BOEING AGREES, A JUDGE WILL HAVE TO SIGN OFF ON THE DEAL. 

THE LAWYER WHO REPRESENTED 15 FAMILIES OF THOSE KILLED IN THE PLANE CRASHES CALLED THIS A “SWEETHEART DEAL” AND SAID THEY WILL OBJECT TO IT. 

U-S MILITARY BASES ACROSS EUROPE ARE ON A HEIGHTENED TERROR ALERT. 

THEY’VE BEEN PUT ON ALERT LEVEL “CHARLIE” — THE SECOND HIGHEST STATE OF ALERT — WHICH ACCORDING TO THE ARMY “APPLIES WHEN AN INCIDENT OCCURS OR INTELLIGENCE IS RECEIVED INDICATING SOME FORM OF TERRORIST ACTION OR TARGETING AGAINST PERSONNEL OR FACILITIES IS LIKELY.” 

ONE U.S. OFFICIAL TOLD FOX NEWS THAT INTELLIGENCE POINTS TO AN ATTACK ON U.S. BASES OVER THE NEXT WEEK OR SO.  

HURRICANE BERYL IS NOW A MAJOR CATEGORY 4 STORM AFTER IT PICKED UP POWER AND SPEED ON SUNDAY OVER THE CARIBBEAN. 

BERYL IS NOW THE EARLIEST CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE IN THE ATLANTIC ON RECORD. 

THE STORM EXPECTED TO MAKE LANDFALL IN THE WINDWARD ISLANDS MONDAY MORNING. 

THE HURRICANE’S EYE IS FORECAST TO TRACK JUST SOUTH OF BARBADOS WITH 130 MILES-PER-HOUR WINDS — BRINGING UP TO SIX INCHES OF RAIN 

AND WHILE IT’S TOO SOON TO KNOW FOR SURE… BERYL, OR REMNANTS OF THE STORM, COULD REACH SOUTHERN TEXAS BY THE WEEKEND — BRINGING HEAVY RAIN TO THE AREA. 

SIMONE BILES HAS DONE IT AGAIN! 

THE REIGNING GYMNASTICS WORLD CHAMPION IS HEADED TO HER THIRD OLYMPICS. 

BILES CAME IN FIRST PLACE AT THE 2024 US OLYMPIC GYMNASTICS TRIALS IN MINNEAPOLIS SUNDAY. 

BILES RETURNED TO COMPETITIVE GYMNASTICS LAST YEAR — AFTER WITHDRAWING FROM THE TEAM FINAL AND INDIVIDUAL ALL-AROUND AT THE 20-20 OLYMPICS… SAYING SHE WAS SUFFERING FROM THE “TWISTIES” — WHICH IS A MENTAL BLOCK THAT CAUSES GYMNASTS TO LOSE THEIR BODY POSITION — AND TAKING AN EXTENDED BREAK TO PRIORITIZE HER MENTAL HEALTH.

AT 27 YEARS OLD — THE FOUR-TIME OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST WHO’S ALSO THE MOST DECORATED GYMNAST *EVER* — WILL BE THE OLDEST FEMALE AMERICAN GYMNAST TO COMPETE AT THE OLYMPICS IN 72 YEARS.