Skip to main content
U.S.

Joey Chestnut will not be competing in Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest

Tuesday

Share

Joey Chestnut is barred from competing in this year’s Nathan’s Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest at Coney Island due to a dispute over a product that contains no beef. Chestnut aimed to promote Impossible Foods’ new plant-based vegan hot dog, but the contest’s policy prohibits brand switching, even for the 16-time champion.

Media Landscape

See who else is reporting on this story and which side of the political spectrum they lean. To read other sources, click on the plus signs below.

Learn more about this data

Left 43%

Center 33%

Right 24%

Bias Distribution Powered by Ground News

Major League Eating (MLE), which oversees global eating competitions including Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest, stated it had previously accommodated Chestnut’s requests except for altering the rules, even allowing him to participate in a separate hot dog eating contest, which Chestnut accepted.

QR code for SAN app download

Download the SAN app today to stay up-to-date with Unbiased. Straight Facts™.

Point phone camera here

“Major League Eating and Nathan’s made significant efforts to accommodate Joey and his management team, agreeing to the appearance fee and permitting Joey to compete in a rival, unbranded hot dog eating contest on Labor Day,” The league announced.

MLE affirmed its policy of exclusive Nathan’s brand participation throughout Chestnut’s nearly two-decade competition history. The organization expressed that “Joey and his managers seem to have placed a new partnership with a different brand above our longstanding relationship.”

Chestnut has triumphed in 16 of the past 17 contests, setting a world record by consuming 76 hotdogs in 2021.

Last year, Chestnut reportedly received $200,000 for his appearance at the contest and was proposed a $1.2 million, four-year contract for future events.

Tags:

[JACK AYLMER]

ON THE FOURTH OF JULY, THERE ARE THREE THINGS YOU CAN ALMOST GUARANTEE.

FIREWORKS, AMERICAN FLAGS AND JOEY CHESTNUT WINNING NATHAN’S FAMOUS HOTDOG EATING CONTEST.

NOT ANYMORE. JOEY CHESTNUT IS BANNED FROM THIS YEAR’S COMPETITION.

THE REASON?

THE 16-TIME CHAMP WANTED TO PROMOTE A DIFFERENT BRAND OF DOG.

JOEY’S NEW BRAND OF CHOICE CAUSING THE BEEF– WELL IT DOESN’T EVEN HAVE BEEF.

IT’S IMPOSSIBLE FOODS NEW VEGAN HOTDOG MADE FROM PLANTS.

NATHAN’S SAYS IT DOESN’T ALLOW ANYONE TO SWITCH BRANDS– NOT EVEN THE FRANKFURTER KING– IN AN EVENT THAT’S THEIR NAMESAKE. 

MAJOR LEAGUE EATING, THE GOVERNING BODY OF THE COMPETITION, SAID THEY HAVE PREVIOUSLY DONE EVERYTHING OTHER THAN CHANGE THE RULES TO MEET CHESTNUT’S DEMANDS. EVEN ALLOWING HIM TO COMPETE IN A SEPARATE HOTDOG EATING CONTEST, WHICH CHESTNUT HAD AGREED TO.

“MAJOR LEAGUE EATING AND NATHAN’S WENT TO GREAT LENGTHS TO ACCOMMODATE JOEY AND HIS MANAGEMENT TEAM, AGREEING TO THE APPEARANCE FEE AND ALLOWING JOEY TO COMPETE IN A RIVAL, UNBRANDED HOTDOG EATING CONTEST ON LABOR DAY.”

M-L-E SAID IT HAS NOT ALLOWED ANY OTHER BRAND OTHER THAN NATHAN’S INTO THE COMPETITION OVER CHESTNUTS NEARLY TWO DECADES OF COMPETING. SAYING “IT APPEARS JOEY AND HIS MANAGERS HAVE PRIORITIZED A NEW PARTNERSHIP WITH A DIFFERENT BRAND OVER OUR LONG-TIME RELATIONSHIP.”

CHESTNUT HAS WON 16 OF THE LAST 17 NATHAN’S CONTESTS, –.

SCARFING DOWN A WORLD RECORD 76 HOTDOGS IN 2021. 

CHESTNUT WAS REPORTEDLY PAID 200-THOUSAND BUCKS TO APPEAR AT NATHAN’S CONTEST LAST YEAR AND  WAS OFFERED A ONE-POINT-TWO-MILLION, FOUR-YEAR CONTRACT GOING FORWARD.

FROM HOTDOG EATING CONTESTS TO CURRENT EVENTS– DOWNLOAD THE STRAIGHT ARROW NEWS APP OR VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT SAN-DOT-COM.