- Chapters
- descriptions off, selected
- captions settings, opens captions settings dialog
- captions off, selected
This is a modal window.
Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.
End of dialog window.
This is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.
This is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.
French authorities reveal they foiled 3 terror plots targeting Olympics
By Craig Nigrelli (Anchor), Evan Hummel (Producer), Jake Maslo (Video Editor)
The 2024 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games in Paris went on without any major act of terror, and reports on Wednesday, Sept. 11, seem to indicate that is likely due to the work of French intelligence. France’s National Counterterrorism Prosecutor Oliver Christensen has announced that the country’s authorities foiled three terror plots targeting the Games in Paris.
Media Landscape
See how news outlets across the political spectrum are covering this story. Learn moreBias Distribution
Left
Right
Untracked Bias
The plots reportedly included plans to strike “Israeli institutions or representatives,” but Christensen said the threats did not directly involve the Israeli Olympic team. Five people were reportedly arrested in connection with the thwarted terror plots, including a minor.

Download the SAN app today to stay up-to-date with Unbiased. Straight Facts™.
Point phone camera here
The Games took place as wars in Gaza and Russia’s war in Ukraine continued.
Meanwhile, France went on high security alert months before the Olympic Games, performing 936 house searches so far this year, which is up from 153 in 2023. The country also strengthened its air defenses over Paris with attack helicopters and surveillance aircraft.
France’s interior minister repeatedly warned of threats from Islamic extremists and cyberattacks from Russia or other enemies.
In May, an 18-year-old man from Chechnya was arrested for allegedly planning to attack Olympic soccer events just outside of Paris. He reportedly pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group.
French authorities said that the majority of the threats they stopped were from Jihadists, and Christensen cautioned that the Islamic State group is continuing to “spread propaganda” in France.
[CRAIG NIGRELLI]
THE 2024 OLYMPIC GAMES AND PARALYMPIC GAMES WENT ON WITHOUT ANY MAJOR ACT OF TERROR.
NEWS OUT WEDNESDAY INDICATES THAT’S LIKELY DUE TO THE WORK OF FRENCH INTELLIGENCE.
FRANCE’S NATIONAL COUNTERTERRORISM PROSECUTOR REVEALING AUTHORITIES FOILED THREE TERROR PLOTS TARGETING THE GAMES IN PARIS.
THE PLOTS REPORTEDLY INCLUDED PLANS TO STRIKE “ISRAELI INSTITUTIONS OR REPRESENTATIVES” — BUT DIDN’T INVOLVE DIRECT THREATS TO THE ISRAELI TEAM.
FIVE PEOPLE WERE ARRESTED IN CONNECTION TO THWARTED ATTACK PLANS.
THE SUMMER GAMES TOOK PLACE AS FIGHTING CONTINUED IN THE ISRAEL-HAMAS WAR AND RUSSIA’S WAR IN UKRAINE RAGED.
FRANCE WENT ON HIGH SECURITY ALERT IN THE MONTHS AHEAD OF THE GAMES– PERFORMING NEARLY ONE THOUSAND HOUSE SEARCHES THIS YEAR– UP FROM JUST 153 LAST YEAR.
THE COUNTRY ALSO STRENGTHENED AIR DEFENSES OVER PARIS WITH ATTACK CHOPPERS AND SURVEILLANCE AIRCRAFT.
FRANCE’S INTERIOR MINISTER REPEATEDLY WARNED OF THREATS FROM ISLAMIC EXTREMISTS AND CYBER ATTACKS FROM RUSSIA OR OTHER ENEMIES.
AN 18-YEAR-OLD MAN FROM CHECHNYA WAS ARRESTED IN MAY FOR ALLEGEDLY PLANNING TO ATTACK OLYMPIC SOCCER EVENTS JUST OUTSIDE OF PARIS.
HE REPORTEDLY PLEDGED ALLEGIANCE TO THE ISLAMIC STATE GROUP.
FRENCH AUTHORITIES SAY THE MAJORITY OF THE THREATS THEY STOPPED WERE FROM JIHADISTS.
AND THE PROSECUTOR CAUTIONED THE ISLAMIC GROUP CONTINUES TO “SPREAD PROPAGANDA” IN FRANCE.
FOR MORE ON THIS STORY DOWNLOAD THE STRAIGHT ARROW NEWS APP OR VISIT SAN DOT COM.
FOR STRAIGHT ARROW NEWS– I’M CRAIG NIGRELLI.
Media Landscape
See how news outlets across the political spectrum are covering this story. Learn moreBias Distribution
Left
Right
Untracked Bias
Straight to your inbox.
By entering your email, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and acknowledge the Privacy Policy.
MOST POPULAR
-
BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/AFP via Getty Images
Elon Musk’s White House exit may be imminent: Report
Read6 hrs ago -
Jakub Porzycki/NurPhoto via Getty Images
‘Buy now, pay later’ plans could soon impact credit scores
Watch 1:379 hrs ago -
Photo py Arkady Budnitsky/Anadolu via Getty
Russia begins largest military draft in more than a decade
Watch 1:5510 hrs ago -
Getty Images
China says it will counterattack Trump tariffs, calling them ‘blackmail’
Watch 1:5411 hrs ago