Skip to main content

Ray Bogan

Political Correspondent

Share
Politics

Trump workers moved boxes day before FBI arrived seeking classified documents

May 26, 2023

Share

Ray Bogan

Political Correspondent

Share

Media Landscape

MediaMiss™This story is a Media Miss by the right as only 0% of the coverage is from right leaning media.

Learn more about this data

Left 32%

Center 68%

Right 0%

Bias Distribution Powered by Ground News

Two of former President Donald Trump’s employees moved boxes of papers the day before FBI agents and a federal prosecutor visited Mar-a-Lago seeking classified documents. According to The Washington Post, which first reported the story, prosecutors have come to view that timing as suspicious and a possible indication of obstruction. 

The Post also reported that Trump and his aides carried out what’s described as a “dress rehearsal” for moving sensitive papers before they received a subpoena in May of 2022. 

The Post’s reporting has been covered by dozens of outlets: 29% of which lean left, the other 71% are center. But none of them lean right, according to the Straight Arrow News Media Miss tool.

Timeline

May 2022: Trump was issued a grand jury subpoena demanding all documents with classified markings be returned. 

June 2: Employees moved the boxes and Trump’s lawyer told the Justice Department they were welcome to pick up the subpoenaed documents. 

June 3: The prosecutor and FBI agents visited Mar-a-Lago and were given a sealed envelope with 38 classified documents and a signed attestation saying a diligent search had been conducted and all relevant documents had been handed over. 

Aug. 8: Mar-a-Lago was raided when FBI agents executed a search warrant.

Nov. 18: Attorney General Merrick Garland appointed special counsel Jack Smith to investigate the possible improper handling of classified documents and presidential records, and possible obstruction of justice. 

May 23: Trump’s lawyers requested a meeting with Attorney General Garland to discuss what they described as the “ongoing injustice that is being perpetrated by your Special Counsel and his prosecutors.”

The grand jury in the case has not met since May 5 but is reportedly in its final stages. A decision about an indictment could be coming soon. 

Tags: , , , , , ,

Two of former president Donald Trump’s employees moved boxes of papers the day before FBI agents and a federal prosecutor visited Mar-a-Lago seeking classified documents. According to the Washington Post which first reported the story, prosecutors have come to view that timing as suspicious and a possible indication of obstruction. 

 

The Post also reported that Trump and his aides carried out what’s described as a dress rehearsal for moving sensitive papers before they even received a subpoena in May of 2022. 

 

Before we get into the timeline – let’s give you a quick overview of how this story is being covered by the media. 

 

The Post’s reporting has been covered by dozens of outlets: 29% of which lean left, the other 71% are center. But none of them lean right according to our bias distribution chart. So to get a more comprehensive picture of the most important stories, check out at straight arrow news.com. 

 

Now here’s a timeline: in May 2022, Trump was issued a grand jury subpoena demanding all documents with classified markings be returned. 

 

On June 2, employees moved the boxes and Trump’s lawyer told the Justice Department they were welcome to pick up the subpoenaed documents. 

 

On June 3, the prosecutor and FBI agents visited Mar-a-Lago and were given a sealed envelope with 38 classified documents and a signed attestation saying a diligent search had been conducted and all relevant documents had been handed over. 

 

Mar-a-Lago was raided August 8, when FBI agents executed a search warrant. 

 

Attorney General Merrick Garland appointed Special Counsel Jack Smith to investigate this case. A grand jury has been empaneled to make a decision about an indictment.