US, Qatar deny Iran access to $6 billion from prisoner swap
in response to hamas’ attack on israel – the united states and qatar have agreed to stop iran from accessing the six billion dollars in funds that was part of a prisoner exchange last month, according to sources telling several news outlets.
a us official tells reuters – quote – “iran will not be able to access the funds for the foreseeable future.”
while in tel aviv on thursday, secretary of state antony blinken said that iran had not accessed the six billion dollars as of yet —
and that america continues to have strict oversight of the funds.
blinken saying the us retains rights over the funds.
the six billion dollars were transferred to qatar as a part of the deal to free five americans detained in iran.
following hamas’ assault – there were bipartisan calls to freeze the funds due to iran’s backing of the militant group —
though us officials have said there is no evidence of iran’s direct involvement in the terrorist attack.