Skip to main content

Unbiased. Straight Facts.TM

The Morning Rundown™

Airstrikes resume in Gaza as cease-fire ends: The Morning Rundown, Dec. 1, 2023

Dec 01, 2023

Share

After a weeklong pause in fighting, the cease-fire between Israel and Hamas comes to an end as Israel said it resumed strikes in Gaza. And a senator takes quick action, using the Heimlich maneuver to help a colleague in trouble. These stories and more highlight The Morning Rundown for Friday, Dec. 1.

Cease-fire between Israel, Hamas ends as strikes resume

A weeklong truce between Israel and Hamas, which saw the release of more than 100 Israeli hostages from Gaza and 240 Palestinians from Israeli prisons, has ended. Minutes after the deadline passed this morning, Israel said it resumed its strikes in Gaza after it said Hamas fired rockets hours before the cease-fire was to expire.

Israel’s military said it intercepted a projectile fired from Gaza, which led them to retaliate. Soon after, air raid sirens began sounding in Israel, indicating more rockets or shells had been fired toward the country.

International mediators are not giving up hope of another pause in fighting and said talks of reviving the cease-fire are continuing. U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken traveled to Israel on Thursday, Nov. 30, his fourth time since Hamas’ terror attack in October.

Blinken met with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and other leaders to try to extend the truce while also urging Israeli officials to reduce harm to civilians and ensure additional humanitarian assistance enters Gaza as Israel looked to restart its mission of eliminating Hamas.

“We support, continue to support, will continue to support Israel’s efforts to do everything possible to make sure that Hamas cannot repeat the horrors of Oct. 7,” Blinken said. “That means, among other things, that Hamas cannot remain responsible for governance of Gaza and cannot retain the capacity to repeat those attacks.”

Ron DeSantis, Gavin Newsom clash in Fox News debate

Republican presidential candidate Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis faced off with California’s Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom during a debate Thursday night, Nov. 30, that aired on Fox News. Over 90 minutes, the two debated on topics such as President Biden’s record, the COVID-19 pandemic, abortion, and border security.

When asked by the moderator, Fox News host Sean Hannity, to grade Biden’s performance, Newsom, an ally of the president, gave him an “A.” DeSantis, who is looking to become the next president, gave Biden a “fail.”

DeSantis accused Newsom of running a “shadow campaign,” suggesting Newsom is looking to replace Biden on the November 2024 ballot, an accusation Newsom says is not true.

“Gavin Newsom was mayor of San Francisco, so he took the San Francisco model, turn that into a template for California’s collapse,” DeSantis said. “Now, the left wants to take the California model and use that as a template for America’s collapse. Well, we can not let that happen.”

The California governor pointed to DeSantis’ current standing in the presidential race, citing recent polls showing the Florida governor falling well behind the frontrunner former President Donald Trump.

“But there’s one thing in closing that we have in common, is neither of us will be the nominee for our party in 2024,” Newsom said.

Rep. George Santos calls latest expulsion effort ‘bullying’

Friday, Dec. 1, the House is expected to hold an expulsion vote for embattled Republican Congressman George Santos, R-N.Y. Santos has survived attempts to oust him from Congress, but following a report released by the House Ethics Committee earlier this month, more of his colleagues believe his actions deserve severe punishment. Still, in a news conference outside the Capitol on Thursday, Nov. 30, Santos said he would not resign, calling the latest expulsion effort a stunt brought by bullies.

“Because if I leave, they win. If I leave, the bullies will take place. This is bullying,” Santos said.

The expulsion vote comes as Santos faces a slew of federal criminal charges alleging that he stole the identities of campaign donors and then used their credit cards to make unauthorized purchases totaling tens of thousands of dollars. Santos has pleaded not guilty to those charges.

To date, there have been just five expulsions of members in the House of Representatives; of them, three were for disloyalty to the Union during the Civil War.

Judge blocks Montana’s TikTok ban from taking effect

On Thursday, Nov. 1, a federal judge blocked Montana’s ban on the Chinese-owned social media platform TikTok for violating users’ rights to free speech. In a preliminary injunction, U.S. District Judge Donald Molloy said the state’s attempt to implement a first-of-its-kind statewide ban on the app “violates the constitution in more ways than one.”

After Montana passed the ban in April over concerns about China’s access to Montanan’s data, ByteDance, TikTok’s parent company, and TikTok users in Montana filed lawsuits against the state. TikTok said in court filings that it has not and would not share user data with China, and the company has taken substantial measures to ensure user privacy.

Following the ruling, the state attorney general’s office defended the state’s ban, adding that the ruling is preliminary and that “the analysis could change as the case proceeds.” A spokesperson for Montana’s state attorney general’s office is considering next steps as the court’s ruling is slated to go into effect on Jan. 1.

Sen. Rand Paul performs the Heimlich maneuver on fellow senator

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., is being credited for his quick action after a fellow senator began choking during a Republican conference luncheon at the capitol on Thursday, Nov. 1. The senator from Kentucky successfully performed the Heimlich maneuver on Sen. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa.

Ernst confirmed a reporter’s account of the incident on X, saying in jest, “Can’t help but choke on the woke policies Dems are forcing down our throats. Thanks, Dr. Rand Paul.”

Paul is a medical doctor specializing in ophthalmology. Ernst was hosting the luncheon of GOP lawmakers, part of a tradition with a different senator bringing in food from their home state each week.

Red Lobster says endless shrimp deal was key factor in $11 million loss

All you can eat, those four words bring a smile to plenty of diners’ faces at restaurants across the country. But one restaurant chain is seeing red after its endless promotion cost them millions.

Thai Union, the owner of Red Lobster, said it experienced an approximate $11 million operating loss in the third quarter. A key factor behind that loss? The restaurant’s “Ultimate Endless Shrimp” deal allows guests to have as much shrimp as they want for just $20.

The once limited-time offer was permanently added to the restaurant’s menu in June as the company hoped to counter a decline in customer traffic. In an investor call in November, Thai Union’s chief financial officer said more people than expected selected the offer, and the plan didn’t work to improve the chain’s economic outlook.

The endless shrimp deal remains on Red Lobster’s menu — now costing $5 more.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

AFTER A WEEKLONG PAUSE IN FIGHTING — THE CEASE-FIRE BETWEEN ISRAEL AND HAMAS COMES TO AN END.  AND — A SENATOR TAKES QUICK ACTION — USING THE HEIMLICH MANEUVER TO HELP A COLLEAGUE IN TROUBLE

THE MORNING RUNDOWN STARTS NOW.

TODAY IS FRIDAY, DECEMBER 1ST.

THANK YOU FOR JOINING US.

I’M KARAH RUCKER.

A WEEKLONG TRUCE BETWEEN ISRAEL AND HAMAS IS OVER.

THE CEASEFIRE SUCCESSFULLY SAW THE RELEASE OF MORE THAN 100 ISRAELI HOSTAGES FROM GAZA AND 240 PALESTINIANS FROM ISRAELI PRISONS.

ALREADY THIS MORNING — ISRAEL SAYS IT HAS RESUMED ITS AIR STRIKES AFTER HAMAS FIRED ROCKETS HOURS **BEFORE THE CEASE-FIRE WAS TO EXPIRE.

ISRAEL’S MILITARY SAID IT INTERCEPTED A PROJECTILE FIRED FROM GAZA – WHICH LED THEM TO RETALIATE.

AIR RAID SIRENS BEGAN SOUNDING IN ISRAEL—INDICATING MORE ROCKETS OR SHELLS HAD BEEN FIRED TOWARD THE COUNTRY.

INTERNATIONAL MEDIATORS ARE STILL IN TALKS WITH BOTH SIDES —

NOT GIVING UP HOPE OF ANOTHER PAUSE IN FIGHTING IN THE FUTURE IN ORDER TO FREE MORE HOSTAGES.

U.S. SECRETARY OF STATE ANTONY BLINKEN TRAVELED TO ISRAEL ON THURSDAY – HIS FOURTH TIME SINCE HAMAS’ TERROR ATTACK IN OCTOBER.

BLINKEN MET WITH ISRAELI PRIME MINISTER BENJAMIN NETANYAHU AND OTHER LEADERS TO TRY TO EXTEND THE TRUCE —

URGING SAFETY AND AID FOR CIVILIANS IN GAZA — WHILE ISRAEL CONTINUES ITS MISSION OF ELIMINATING HAMAS.

SUPER: ANTONY BLINKEN: “WE SUPPORT – CONTINUE TO SUPPORT, WILL CONTINUE TO SUPPORT – ISRAEL’S EFFORTS TO DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO MAKE SURE THAT HAMAS CANNOT REPEAT THE HORRORS OF OCT. 7 THAT MEANS AMONG OTHER THINGS THAT HAMAS CANNOT REMAIN RESPONSIBLE FOR GOVERNANCE OF GAZA AND CANNOT RETAIN THE CAPACITY TO REPEAT THOSE ATTACKS.”

REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE FLORIDA GOVERNOR RON DESANTIS FACED OFF WITH CALIFORNIA’S DEMOCRATIC GOVERNOR GAVIN NEWSOM DURING A DEBATE THURSDAY NIGHT ON FOX NEWS.

OVER THE COURSE OF 90 MINUTES – THE TWO DEBATED OVER TOPICS SUCH AS PRESIDENT BIDEN’S RECORD, THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC, ABORTION AND BORDER SECURITY.

WHEN ASKED BY FOX NEWS HOST AND MODERATOR SEAN HANNITY — TO GRADE BIDEN’S PERFORMANCE – NEWSOM GAVE HIM AN “A.”

DESANTIS – WHO IS LOOKING TO BECOME THE NEXT PRESIDENT – GAVE BIDEN A “FAIL.”

DESANTIS HAS ACCUSED NEWSOM OF RUNNING A “SHADOW CAMPAIGN” – -SUGGESTING NEWSOM IS LOOKING TO REPLACE BIDEN ON THE NOVEMBER 2024 BALLOT – AN ACCUSATION NEWSOM SAYS ISN’T TRUE.

SUPER: GOV. RON DESANTIS: “Gavin Newsom was mayor of San Francisco, so he took the San Francisco model, turn that into a template for California’s collapse. Now, the left wants to take the California model and use that as a template for America’s collapse. Well, we can not let that happen.”

L3: RON DESANTIS, GAVIN NEWSOM CLASH IN FOX NEWS DEBATE 

NEWSOM POINTED TO DESANTIS’ CURRENT STANDING IN THE PRESIDENTIAL RACE —

CITING POLLS SHOWING THE FLORIDA GOVERNOR FALLING WELL BEHIND THE FRONTRUNNER FORMER PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP.

SUPER: GOV. GAVIN NEWSOM: “There’s one thing in closing that we have in common is neither of us will be the nominee for our party in 2024.”

TODAY THE HOUSE IS EXPECTED TO HOLD AN EXPULSION VOTE FOR EMBATTLED REPUBLICAN CONGRESSMAN GEORGE SANTOS.

VO GEORGE SANTOS

SANTOS HAS SURVIVED PRIOR ATTEMPTS TO OUST HIM FROM CONGRESS BUT FOLLOWING A REPORT RELEASED BY THE HOUSE ETHICS COMMITTEE EARLIER THIS MONTH —

MORE OF HIS COLLEAGUES BELIEVE THERE SHOULD BE CONSEQUENCES FOR HIS ACTIONS.

STILL, IN A NEWS CONFERENCE OUTSIDE THE CAPITOL ON THURSDAY – SANTOS SAID HE WILL NOT RESIGN — CALLING THE LATEST EXPULSION EFFORT A STUNT BROUGHT BY BULLIES.

REP. GEORGE SANTOS: “BECAUSE IF I LEAVE, THEY WIN. IF I LEAVE THE BULLIES TAKE PLACE. THIS IS BULLYING.” 

THE EXPULSION VOTE COMES AS SANTOS FACES A SLEW OF FEDERAL CRIMINAL CHARGES ALLEGING THAT HE STOLE THE IDENTITIES OF CAMPAIGN DONORS THEN USED THEIR CREDIT CARDS TO MAKE UNAUTHORIZED PURCHASES — TOTALING TENS-OF-THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS.

SANTOS HAS PLEADED NOT GUILTY TO THOSE CHARGES.

TO DATE THERE HAVE BEEN JUST 5 EXPULSIONS OF MEMBERS IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES – OF THEM – THREE WERE FOR DISLOYALTY TO THE UNION DURING THE CIVIL WAR.

ON THURSDAY A FEDERAL JUDGE BLOCKED MONTANA’S BAN ON TIK TOK FROM TAKING EFFECT NEXT MONTH — SAYING IT VIOLATES FREE SPEECH RIGHTS.

THE JUDGE IN THE CASE SAID THE STATE’S ATTEMPT TO IMPLEMENT A FIRST-OF-ITS KIND STATEWIDE BAN ON THE THE CHINESE-OWNED SOCIAL MEDIA APP “VIOLATES THE CONSTITUTION IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE.”

AFTER MONTANA PASSED THE BAN IN APRIL OVER CONCERNS OF CHINA’S ACCESS TO PERSONAL DATA —

TIKTOK’S PARENT COMPANY “BYTE-DANCE” – — AS WELL AS SEVERAL TIKTOK USERS — FILED LAWSUITS AGAINST THE STATE.

TIKTOK SAID IN COURT FILINGS THAT IT HAS NOT AND WOULD NOT SHARE USER DATA WITH CHINA AND THE COMPANY HAS TAKEN SUBSTANTIAL MEASURES TO ENSURE USER PRIVACY.

MONTANA’S ATTORNEY GENERAL’S OFFICE DEFENDED THE STATE’S BAN ADDING THAT THURSDAY’S RULING IS PRELIMINARY.

SENATOR RAND PAUL IS BEING CREDITED FOR HIS QUICK ACTION – AFTER A FELLOW SENATOR BEGAN CHOKING DURING A REPUBLICAN CONFERENCE LUNCHEON AT THE CAPITOL ON THURSDAY.

THE KENTUCKY SENATOR SUCCESSFULLY PERFORMED THE HEIMLICH MANEUVER ON SENATOR JONI ERNST OF IOWA.

ERNST CONFIRMED THE INCIDENT ON X — SAYING IN JEST — SHE  “CAN’T HELP BUT CHOKE ON THE WOKE POLICIES DEMS ARE FORCING DOWN OUR THROATS. THANKS, DR. RAND PAUL.”

PAUL IS A MEDICAL DOCTOR – SPECIALIZING IN OPTHALMOLOGY.

ERNST WAS HOSTING THE LUNCHEON FOR GOP LAWMAKERS – PART OF A TRADITION THAT HAS A DIFFERENT SENATOR BRINGING IN FOOD FROM THEIR HOME STATE EACH WEEK.

FINALLY THIS MORNING – ALL YOU CAN EAT. THOSE FOUR WORDS BRING A SMILE TO PLENTY OF DINERS’ FACES AT RESTAURANTS ACROSS THE COUNTRY. BUT ONE RESTAURANT CHAIN IS SEEING RED AFTER THEIR ENDLESS PROMOTION COST THEM MILLIONS.

THAI UNION — THE OWNERS OF RED LOBSTER — SAY THEY EXPERIENCED AN APPROXIMATE ELEVEN MILLION DOLLAR OPERATING LOSS IN THE THIRD QUARTER.

A KEY FACTOR BEHIND THAT LOSS?

THE RESTAURANT’S ULTIMATE ENDLESS SHRIMP DEAL –

WHICH ALLOWS GUESTS TO HAVE AS MUCH SHRIMP AS THEY WANT FOR JUST TWENTY DOLLARS.

THE ONCE LIMITED-TIME OFFER WAS PERMANENTLY ADDED TO THE RESTAURANT’S MENU IN JUNE AS THE COMPANY HOPED TO COUNTER A DECLINE IN CUSTOMER TRAFFIC.

THE PLAN WORKED — MAYBE TOO WELL.

THE COMPANY SAYING MORE CUSTOMERS THAN EXPECTED TOOK THEM UP ON THE DEAL.

THE ENDLESS SHRIMP DEAL IS STILL ON RED LOBSTER’S MENU – BUT IT NOW COSTS FIVE BUCKS MORE.

THESE ARE YOUR TOP STORIES FOR THIS FRIDAY.

AND BE SURE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE MORNING RUNDOWN NEWSLETTER  TO GET THE TOP STORIES EACH WEEKDAY MORNING.

JUST GO TO SAN DOT COM SLASH RUNDOWN TO SIGN UP.

UNBIASED. STRAIGHT FACTS. THAT’S STRAIGHT ARROW NEWS.

WE’LL SEE YOU BACK HERE MONDAY.

UNTIL THEN I’M KARAH RUCKER. HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!