Skip to main content

Unbiased. Straight Facts.TM

U.S.

Mislabeled cookies allegedly lead to NY dancer’s death; grocery store issues recall

Jan 26

Share

A grocery chain is recalling packages of cookies after officials said mislabeling led to the death of a woman in New York who was allergic to peanuts. According to the victim’s attorneys, the 25-year-old woman, identified as Órla Baxendale, was originally from the United Kingdom and moved to New York to pursue a ballet dancing career.

Baxendale died on Jan. 11 from anaphylactic shock, “resulting from a severe allergic reaction,” according to attorneys representing her interests.

Órla, a talented dancer, was just 25 years old when her life was cut short due to anaphylactic shock resulting from a severe allergic reaction.

Statement from Órla Baxendale’s attorneys

“Her passion for dance extended well beyond a single discipline as she was an exquisite ballet, contemporary, and Irish step dancer,” Baxendale’s obituary read.

The cookies were sold at the grocery chain Stew Leonard’s, which has since issued a recall. Health officials in Connecticut, where the victim purchased the cookies, are warning others with a nut allergy to dispose of them.

In an announcement on Tuesday, Jan. 23, the company said it worked with the Food and Drug Administration to recall Vanilla Florentine cookies sold at stores in Danbury and Newington, Connecticut from Nov. 6 to Dec. 31. Stew Leonard’s added that around 500 units of the cookies were sold.

“The cookies contain undeclared peanuts and eggs,” Stew Leonard’s said in a statement. “People with an allergy or severe sensitivity to peanuts or eggs run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume these products. One death has been reported that may be associated with the mislabeled product.”

The CEO of Stew Leonard’s claimed the wholesaler, Cookies Unlimited, did not notify them of the change in the cookie’s recipe. Cookies Unlimited has disputed those allegations.

Tags: , , ,

A GROCERY CHAIN IS RECALLING PACKAGES OF COOKIES AFTER OFFICIALS SAY MISLABELING LED TO THE DEATH OF A WOMAN IN NEW YORK WHO WAS ALLERGIC TO PEANUTS.

ACCORDING TO THE VICTIM’S ATTORNEYS – THE 25-YEAR-OLD WOMAN — ORIGINALLY FROM THE UNITED KINGDOM WHO MOVED TO NEW YORK TO PURSUE A BALLET CAREER – DIED ON JANUARY 11TH FROM ANAPHYLACTIC (a·nuh·fuh·lak·tuhk) SHOCK  — RESULTING FROM A SEVERE ALLERGIC REACTION.

THE COOKIES WERE SOLD AT THE GROCERY CHAIN STEW LEONARD’S – WHICH HAS SINCE ISSUED A RECALL.

HEALTH OFFICIALS IN CONNECTICUT – WHERE THE VICTIM PURCHASED THE COOKIES – ARE WARNING OTHERS WITH A NUT ALLERGY TO DISPOSE OF THEM.

THE CEO OF STEW LEONARD’S CLAIMS THE WHOLESALER – COOKIES UNLIMITED — DID NOT NOTIFY THEM OF THE CHANGE IN THE COOKIE’S RECIPE.

COOKIES UNLIMITED HAS DISPUTED THOSE ALLEGATIONS.

 

By entering your email, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and acknowledge the Privacy Policy.