Skip to main content

Unbiased. Straight Facts.TM

International

UN chief urges US, other countries to reverse pause on funding amid Israel’s Oct. 7 claims

Jan 29

Share

Fallout continues to grow for the main United Nations agency in Gaza after Israel accused 12 of its staff members of being involved in the Oct. 7 terror attacks by Hamas. After being notified of the allegations last week, the U.N. said it fired several employees of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency.

“These shocking allegations come as more than 2 million people in Gaza depend on lifesaving assistance that the Agency has been providing since the war began,” said Philippe Lazzarini, UNRWA Commissioner-General. “Anyone who betrays the fundamental values of the United Nations also betrays those whom we serve in Gaza, across the region and elsewhere around the world.”

A six-page Israeli intelligence dossier shown to Reuters alleges that 190 UNRWA employees doubled as Hamas militants, including teachers and school counsellors. Palestinian authorities have accused Israel of falsifying information.

The United States is among several countries to pause funding to the U.N. agency. The State Department said the U.S. “is extremely troubled by the allegations” as the agency plays “a critical role in providing life-saving assistance to Palestinians” in Gaza.

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said he is “horrified by the accusations” that agency workers helped Hamas stage the attacks. But he asked the countries suspending their aid to reconsider.

“But the tens of thousands of men and women who work for UNRWA, many in some of the most dangerous situations for humanitarian workers, should not be penalized. The dire needs of the desperate populations they serve must be met,” Guterres said.

The U.S. is the biggest donor to the agency, providing $340 million in 2022 and several hundred million in 2023.

Tags: , , , , ,

FALLOUT CONTINUES TO GROW FOR THE MAIN UNITED NATIONS AGENCY IN GAZA – AFTER ISRAEL ACCUSED TWELVE OF ITS STAFF MEMBERS OF BEING INVOLVED IN THE TERROR ATTACKS BY HAMAS ON OCTOBER 7TH.

AFTER BEING NOTIFIED OF THE ALLEGATIONS LAST WEEK – THE UN SAID IT FIRED SEVERAL EMPLOYEES OF THE UNITED NATIONS RELIEF AND WORKS AGENCY.

THE UNITED STATES IS AMONG A NUMBER OF COUNTRIES TO PAUSE FUNDING TO THE UN AGENCY.

THE STATE DEPARTMENT SAID THE U.S. “IS EXTREMELY TROUBLED BY THE ALLEGATIONS” AS THE AGENCY PLAYS “A CRITICAL ROLE IN PROVIDING LIFE-SAVING ASSISTANCE TO PALESTINIANS” IN GAZA.

THE UN SECRETARY GENERAL SAID HE IS “HORRIFIED BY THE ACCUSATIONS” THAT AGENCY WORKERS HELPED HAMAS STAGE THE ATTACKS.

BUT HE ASKED THE COUNTRIES SUSPENDING THEIR AID TO RECONSIDER.

THE US HAS LONG BEEN THE AGENCY’S LARGEST DONOR.

PROVIDING HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS EACH YEAR.

By entering your email, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and acknowledge the Privacy Policy.